Saturday, January 26, 2008

Conundrum

I am not sure I enjoy being spoilt for choice. I bid for exchange universities tomorrow. The GPA based bidding order has put me in a position from where I can either go to Yale, or to some random German university. The dilemma arises because Random German University will also offer me a scholarship of 3000 Euros over the exchange period of three months, which provides enough monetary fuel to finance my travels across all of Europe Yale, on the other hand, will cost me a bomb, and I will in all probability be stuck in Connecticut all winter long.

I suspect that at the heart of the matter is an altogether more philosophical issue. I think it comes down to who I really am, deep down. The academician is me is desperately yearning for Yale, with its lengthy list of Nobel Laureates and its place in the American Ivy League pantheon. On the other hand, Germany, and the money that its government will so graciously provide me, will give me the opportunity to travel across the continent in true troubadour fashion. Backpacks. Eurorail passes. The works. The guy who went to Leipzig last year on the scholarship visited 16 countries. S-i-x-t-e-e-n.

But then again, it's Yale! Yale, which has produced Murray Gell-mann, and Sinclair Lewis, and Jodie Foster, and Camille Paglia, and Tom Wolfe, and Nick Carraway in the Great Gatsby ! (Lets pretend for now that George Bush didn't go there). The sheer weight of its history bears down on my soul. I simply can't turn down an opportunity to go there, can I ?

Sigh.

2 comments:

Le conteur said...

Wow, that is a tough choice. Good luck either way, and do let us know whether you decide to side with the academician or the nomad.

risha; said...

Globe trotter, you called me the other day.

So, I tell you now what I could pick, with my world vision glasses: Yale.

Because, sweetheart; Yale is Yale. And you are but twenty two. Europe will wait for you. The Europe I knew over three years ago, and the Europe I know now has changed much. As it shall in the next three years. But it's beauty is the same; she'll wait, she'll come again. Yale might not.

That's just the globetrotter, backpacker you think I am. 'tis a lie, you know.

About Me

a recluse waiting for salvation