Wednesday, January 09, 2008

clueless

Something's not right with this year. There is a sneaky feeling that Something Bad is just waiting to happen. A feeling that I'm unable to banish by watching movies that cover the entire spectrum of Hollywood's high school film offerings from the thoughtful, and sometimes even profound Rushmore(1994) to the inane yet strangely enjoyable Superbad(2007). Perking up, in true Phobe Cates fashion, next in this particular line is the Big Daddy of the genre, Fast Times at Ridgemont High(1982), which I will proceed to watch sometime today.

I have something of a penchant for digression. I can't really focus on anything, without letting my mind wander. Perhaps that explains why I cannot drive very well. The instructor tore his hair out trying to get me keep the damn thing going straight on an empty highway. Evidently, watching me 'play around' (and I mean this quite literally) with the steering wheel is not his idea of a good instructional session.

Anyway, I was trying to tell you about That Sinking Feeling that has accompanied the advent of the year. It's a bit like a dirty spot on your clothes that refuses to go away. No one else can see it, but it drives you nuts. And there's nothing you can do about it, except wait for it to go away, the way it came. Perhaps this feeling is borne from the fact that I spent New Year's day throwing up. Don't they say you spend the entire year doing what you were on New Year's? Ouch.

And by the way, apart from a glass of wine on Christmas Day and New Year's eve, I've kept to my word. I don't particularly feel de-toxed, or anything, though. In truth, my hitherto well-functioning digestive system, which has been entirely free of Intoxicant Substances for a month, has been killing me the last few days. I suppose this is what irony feels like, when it kicks you in the guts.

4 comments:

risha; said...

Fast times is a good film. Good film, I say.
Breakfast Club too? I've been wanting to watch that again.

Detoxing isn't just about the lack of alcohol. It's about actually cleaning out the system. Look up a detox diet and do it for a week. Trust me, your skin will glow.

Feel better. The New Year will too.

melon collie said...

I saw the breakfast club a few months back, and it really was terrific. even better than fast times.

and i think i quite lack the discipline to enforce a detox diet on myself.

Argentyne said...

hey, it IS me. Coolcat, how'd you find me? Long time :)

melon collie said...

hello. i stumbled upon it, and like i said, it sounded familiar. good to see you around.

About Me

a recluse waiting for salvation