Thursday, March 03, 2005

home sweet home

"
But all my words come back to me in shades of mediocrity
Like emptiness in harmony I need someone to comfort me.
Homeward bound,
I wish I was.
"
God knows how many times i've allowed that song to play itself out in my head, wishing i was on a bus rolling towards home. And, tomorrow, i will be homeward bound :-) , for a 4 - day mini-vacation with my family.

There is something beautifully comforting about a journey when you know that goodness lies on the other side; an easy melancholia that envelopes your soul like a warm quilt on a wintry day.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that i will return a million kgs heavier, what with lavish king-sized meals that are sure to punctuate each day, not to mention slothfulness of an extreme nature. But the real reason i'm going home is not the pampering, the fawning even, but the fact that the Sultan of Swing is going to be in town.

The legendary singer/songwriter/guitarist of Dire Straits Mark Knopfler is scheduled to perform coming Monday, and it cannot come soon enough! Despite the fact that tickets are obscenely over-priced (even for someone of the stature of Knopfler) ,there is nothing like the arrival of the prodigal son to warm the cockles of the heart and loosen the purse-strings of my parents, who have been soooo sweet to agree to shoulder the Sultan's ransom. I can only hope the tickets don't sell out by the time i'm there.

I've always loved Dire Straits; the brutal simplicity of '..you and me, babe, how about it? ', the haunting 'So far away' , the wonderfully uplifting 'Walk of Life' and the cheekiness of 'Money for Nothing' - all replete with the wry humour and virtuoso guitar-playing of Mark Knopfler. The man is a living legend, and if i do make it to the show on Monday, it will be a privilege.......


PS
I saw 'Amelie' again yesterday. If any one of you resembles/behaves/speaks like her, just let me know and i'll marry you in an instant.
I assure you that i compare favourably with Nino.

3 comments:

S. said...

getting pampered by the folks - dammit - nothing beats that.

have a good holiday!

melon collie said...

i am, remedios, i am :)

Anonymous said...

Amelie?

Now, even her?

Sigh.

About Me

a recluse waiting for salvation