Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Play the ending again, Sam

I was watching When Harry met Sally the other day, and amidst comic capers and fake orgasms, Harry raises an issue that remains wholly contentious to me to this day - the ending of Casablanca.

Why in the world does Humphrey Bogart allow the incandescent Ingrid Bergman to leave Casablanca with the very creepy-looking Victor Lazslo character, especially when he holds all the cards ?
It's simply beyond me.

Just look at Ingrid, Humphrey, for Chrissakes . She's so bea-yoo-ti-ful, and she loves you.

And what do you do? You let her go.

Sometimes I feel I understand men even lesser than I understand women.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ive never watched casablanca- but cld it be cos of a possible ego problem?

Anonymous said...

Or could it be the thing people call 'selfless love'? If so, should there be 'selfish love' out there? Love is just love. Could it be classified? I'm confused. Don't blame my ignorance. My teachers have never taught me those.

p

JL said...

it's what makes love fabulous and deep. i'd rather hurt exquisitely from longing than force love or have her come back for the wrong reasons.

psnob said...

simple. he had to look like the hero.

melon collie said...

sangee, not really an ego thing.

natalie, i agree with that :)

phoebe, isn't all love necessarily selfish? though i also have to agree with jasi, i know the 'hurting exquisitely with longing' feeling only too well..

psnob, come on! this is Humphrey Bogart, he don't need to prove nothin' to nobody !

About Me

a recluse waiting for salvation