Friday, August 12, 2005

Catharsis

"Did you know that eating alone could cause kidney damage ? "

-Sean Penn, in 21 Grams

It all seems so long ago now, a veritable eternity, when I swore to myself in a typically foolhardy fit of bravado that I would never go out of campus alone again.

Oh no, I had told myself on that particularly depressing night in the town last semester, next time I shall find someone to accompany me on my (usually) forthnightly jaunts outside the
college gates, atleast for the sake of my kidneys, if nothing else.

However, being the fickle-minded weak-willed person that I am, yesterday I set off, alone , for the ocean (It's really a bay, but I prefer calling it an ocean. So much more grand, no? ) , deciding to make a quick stop at the college library, in a vain attempt to salvage some course-books , the ones not already usurped in furious early-semester raids by my studious peers.

Incidentally, I was wearing a Kurt Cobain T-Shirt, which, as you will appreciate, is as good a shirt as any when you are feeling a bit suicidal, and the librarian , with the keen eye and sharp intellect that landed him the job, asks me:

"Hey, who is this Kurt Cobain ?", in an accent generously smeared by the local tongue.

"Err, he is a singer, and a song-writer ", I reply, a little self-consciously.

"Oh, like Michael Jackson ! ", he jumps up, all excited by this piece of knowledge he has just acquired.

"Err, yes sir. Absolutely. "

The book I had asked him to register was Suzuki's "Living by Zen ".
Nirvana, at that very moment, has never seemed further away.

Thus, I made my way to the college gates, and proceeded on to my destination, the air all the time getting cooler, and soon I could smell the ocean-spray, and see the world dancing before me in those innumnerable grains of sand. No wild flowers though, heaven (or hell, for that matter) would have to wait. No new arrival today.

And there it was, in Jackson Pollock like blobs of white and moon-lit black, leading its own lonely life of quiet desperation, flowing in a mad rush to nowhere, trying to reach my sprawled self in relentless pursuit, but failing, like all the people before it who have cared to try the same. So I went closer, slowly, cautiously, and felt its soft, cool touch on my palm, stroking me , consoling me.

And you know what, it felt pretty good.
My soon to be eroded footprints on the sand below, a solitary star nestling in the quiet serenity of the crescent moon above, and infinity beyond.

A quiet dinner in a crowded restaurant , and a long walk later, I was back in my room, purged of all the negativity of the past few days. No more sadness, I would think, for a week atleast.

Only one other problem still persists.
Game for a kidney transplant, anyone?

7 comments:

JL said...

i eat alone from time to time. just to know i can, i think. but i always bring a book. are you really alone if you bring a book, i wonder?

psnob said...

haha, i love that quote, i'm using that now everytime someone asks me WHY i can't possibly eat alone ever.
:s

saba said...

I usually read even if I'm eating with people.

I'll lend you a kidney.

melon collie said...

natalie and jasi, i guess books can be counted as company. I'll consider doing that the next time.

psnob, yea, i love that quote too :)

saba, thank you. long time no see, glad that you're back here :)

Asfandyar said...

well then, my kidney's probably not far away from being completely useless.

i eat alone so much i may have forgotten how to eat with people.

:S

ps: utd 2-0 winners against everton. what do you think'll happen this season?

melon collie said...

yup, i saw the game :)
i still have worries abt the midfield though. unless we strengthen that area, i feel we'll finish behind chelsea.
there are rumours, though, of a bid for michael ballack. now that would be a terrific buy.

Anonymous said...

I have a stone in my kidney.

Did I ever tell you that?

Naoko

About Me

a recluse waiting for salvation