Friday, February 04, 2005

sounds of silence

I just realized that its more than a week since i actually began a conversation. A real person-to-person one , online encounters and perfunctory hello-how-are-you-i'm-so-hunky-dory dialogues not included.

It is also just dawning on me that I really don't have anything to say to anybody anymore. My interactions with others merely centre around academic discussions, rare as they may be, and I have an obscene amount of talk-time remaining on my cell.

And you know that there's something wrong when the guy who's been living next door to you in your hostel for some 4 months , informs you in the midst of your frenzied tooth-brushing routine that he would like to know your name.

Maybe I should throw away the phone and live in a forest, a modern day Seymour, and spout Hindu and Buddhist philosophy at anyone who drops in, with a wise nod and a twinkling eye. Atleast then I wouldn't have to pretend that I was having the time of my life with people whose company I don't enjoy, and wouldn't have to feel guilty about faking anything.

And of course, there is the added luxury of being able to make enigmatic statements and get away with them, as most philosophers seem to do. This i discovered, much to my dismay, when I took a course on European philosophy last semester. "..If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those in the present " being a classic example, even though i have to admit that Ludwig was one of my favourites....












4 comments:

saba said...

You remind me of someone I know - do we know each other/have met in the world outside this box?

melon collie said...

no....i would think not.....especially considering that perhaps the only two way i could get into your country from mine would be to sneak across the Rann of Kutchch......

saba said...

Aah well. 1 paranoid idea down, 7923672672 more to go.

Conversation is a dying art.

The Cat said...

I think I understand you better now.

I shouldnt demand.

The Cow

About Me

a recluse waiting for salvation