Sunday, March 23, 2008

behavioral economics

Amos Tversky, he of prospect theory fame, writes:

"Probably the most significant and pervasive characteristic of the human pleasure machine is that people are much more sensitive to negative than to positive stimuli ... Think about how well you feel today, and then try to imagine how much better you could feel ... There are a few things that would make you feel better, but the number of things that would make you feel worse is unbounded."

It amazes me how I have discovered so much more truth in sociology and economics than in the pure sciences. Physics was beautiful at times, and mathematics still is, but this is something bigger. This is my calling.

1 comment:

Majaz said...

I felt the same way about Sociology. But then. I realized I was a psychologist. First, last and always.

Behavioral sciences have a big future. You've found a good calling.

About Me

a recluse waiting for salvation