Friday, December 02, 2005

from here to eternity

I had just returned to my hostel room, after ingesting the resident cook's very unique version of a special celebratory post-exam lunch, when the cell rang.

It was my mother.

'Your grandfather passed away last night. I didn't want to tell you in the morning beacuse I thought it would spoil your mood for your exam.'

What can i say? The exams are finally over now, and after a fortnight of stressing out and sleeplessness , all i can do is sit back, allow the tears to fall and wonder whose turn it is going to be next.

Thanks for everything, grand-daddy. For making my childhood wonderful, for teaching me all the right things, for the summer vacations spent loitering around discussing any matter that took my fancy, for helping me grow up in a world where i never felt deprived of anything, a place that is now just a fragmented, disjointed memory of a bygone time.

And now you are gone. Gone to join grandma.
You didn't even give me a chance to say goodbye.

Rest in Peace. I love you.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry about your grandad

Le conteur said...

My condolescenses go out to you and your family...

Hope you're holding up alright.

Take care.

melon collie said...

Thanks, both of you.
I appreciate it much.

sam said...

i hadn't been browsing for a while. Just saw the news about your granddad. I'm sorry for your loss

Mina said...

i'm sorry. i lost my grandfather on the second of november..i hope you are able to find strength and comfort from your family and loved ones.

melon collie said...

sam , mina :
thanks a lot for the condolences...

About Me

a recluse waiting for salvation