Saturday, July 30, 2005

20 something

Twenty is such an awful age. I can't even blame my deficiencies on teenage angst anymore.

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed- interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit- crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future.

From Trainspotting

Ahhh.
So many choices, so little time.



5 comments:

Sapphire said...

I'm sorry I missed your birthday. I wasn't well and didn't check this place much. Happy belated birthday rahul. I hope you have a great year ahead of you :)

melon collie said...

no problemo , saph.
thanks !

JL said...

choose freedom

Anonymous said...

Hi Melon, you didn't finish this 'choose' thing. At my 20th birthday, I was exactly telling myself 'I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got nothing? (not heroin in my case)':) See, mine's even worse.

My teenage angst came a bit later than the average. Besides "The Catcher in the Rye", "Lolita","The Clockwork Orange","One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest", "Catch-22","The Bell Jar", "On the Road" and of course "Trainspotting" and stuff like that were just what I was reading. I'm not saying I don't read them anymore. Quite the opposite, when I'm kind of in the adult world like now, reading them again gives me new vision.:)

Everybody gotta choose at his 20th birthday. Follow your heart, choose your choice. There's time. You'll make it.:)

One thing I'm afraid is that I don't have a blog so far. Reading my own mind or letting others read it is still somewhat difficult for me. But I'm thinking about building a page of my own after I move to Tibet this winter. I guess there'll be many beautiful pics on the page. Will let you then. :)

Hmm...Ursula or Rebecca? Don't freak out, but can I be Old Phoebe, Phoebe Caulfield? :P I know I'm too old. Anyhow, being an old 'old Phoebe' who listens to Janis Joplin instead of 'Little Shirley Beans' isn't too bad an idea. :)

Have a nice day,
P

melon collie said...

Phoebe, you shall be henceforth ! Phoebe and me, Bobby McGee !

You are moving to Tibet ??
Oh man. That sounds terrific, it really does. I wish i could make a trip like that sometime.

Yeah, i just left the 'choose' thing hanging off a bit..

Keep in touch!

About Me

a recluse waiting for salvation