Monday, June 27, 2005

Peeping Tom

I went down to the cinema for the first time in more than 18 months today. I have always felt a natural aversion to theatres; a sense of claustrophobic loneliness that suffocates slowly and leaves me gasping for a breath of fresh air.

They gave me the best seat in the house, right at the back of the balcony, and as I later realized, this turns out to be as good a vantage point as any to pursue voyeuristic endeavours, let alone mundane activities such as movie-watching.
Whenever the actor and his girl start getting it on, as if on cue, the couples in the audience cuddle up a little closer, hands tighten over shoulders, and sweet nothings begin wafting across the now infinitesimal distance between lip and ear.
It's so sickeningly sweet it makes my head swim .

The film, by the way, was 'Batman Begins', by Christopher Nolan, the same director who gave us the unforgettable 'Memento'; and despite working on a fundamentally weak premise, it does not disappoint. 'Batman Begins' continues to build on the oeuvre established by the Spiderman series of movies, of infallible yet sensitive superheroes with three-dimensional personalities, not just slam-bang-there-you-go-ma'am types.

Perhaps the only letdown is the token female interest- Katie Holmes- utterly under-utilized in a weak role. I wonder what Tom Cruise thinks about her height though; she pretty much towers over him, just like old Nicole Kidman used to.

I can almost hear the feminists screaming in my ears, and do correct me if I am wrong, but if the man is taller, it does make the couple more photogenic, no?

3 comments:

psnob said...

dont know about being more photogenic, but somehow that bandi can never really measure up to nicole kidman... atleast for me.. (not many women can, but definitely not a starry-eyed-grinny girl like her) :/

JL said...

agreed... katie holmes just doesn't wow. but then, that is an awful lot to ask. as for the taller women in tom's life, i think that is a given. it's rumored that he's only 5'3" tall and sports lifts.

S. said...

I actually quite like Katie Holmes. Dawson's Creek has always been a favorite :) the kind of show you want to want 20 years from now and swin in memories, in :) even though she was quite the proverbial typical teenager in DC :/

I hear they're not rehiring Katie Holmes for the second Batman movie.

About Me

a recluse waiting for salvation